Thursday, November 12, 2009

Womyn of the Week - Pearl Cleage

Pearl Cleage is a phenomenal speaker and writer, who I heard for the first time at Charis Books & More 35th anniversary celebration. I was captivated and I highly recommend hearing her if you ever get the chance. I especially liked her piece that was in honor of Rihanna, in which she apologizes for the fact that domestic violence still happens everyday. It was a painful piece to hear and yet its message is still so important to not just hear, but really listen and comprehend what she was powerfully saying.

Pearl Cleage has produced several best-selling novels, plays, essays, articles, and more. She is also a contributing writer to Essence magazine and frequently performs her work on college campuses. Pearl is the mother of one daughter, Deignan, and lives in Atlanta with her husband, Zaron W. Burnett, Jr.
This was her first bestseller and was featured on Oprah's Book Club!
Plays:

Pearl Cleage is one of America's most produced African American female playwrights!
"Flyin' West and Other Plays," 1999

*********************************************
I have never read any of her works, although after hearing her speak, I really, really want to-looks like I need to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment